Insurance

Support extended in NSW after months of flooding – Local – Insurance News

Financial assistance has been made available to five other local government areas (LGAs) in NSW affected by ongoing severe flooding as more towns have been told to evacuate.

Eurobodalla, Inverell, Orange, Queanbeyan-Palerang and Wentworth LGAs have been added as eligible to apply for the Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA), which provides up to 13 weeks of income support to employees and independent traders who experience loss of income as a result of a major disaster.

“It has been 67 days since the NSW floods began and 75 local government areas have now been declared natural disaster areas,” said Steph Cooke, NSW Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience and Minister for Recovery. after the floods.

“As floodwaters continue to move downstream, the number of flood-affected communities is increasing,” she said.

“We will continue to work with the Commonwealth to assess the impacts of these floods and provide further financial support to individuals, families, farmers and business owners.”

Dozens of towns are at risk of being inundated by floodwaters, and residents of Deniliquin in the Riverina have been warned to evacuate as the River Edward threatens to rupture its banks. The order applies to 10 city streets, with residents asked to leave by 10 a.m. Wednesday.

It comes after devastating floods last week in west-central New South Wales, where weary SES executives returned from New Zealand and Singapore.

“It’s going to be as bad as Lismore,” local ABC reporter Mollie Gorman said on social media. “All but two shops flooded in Molong, Eugowra destroyed, Bathurst’s biggest flood in 25 years, Cowra’s first flood of 14 meters in 70 years, houses flooded in normally dry Parkes, Forbes expected to beat records and Condobolin has already done that,” she said.

The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) said today that insurers have so far received 2,175 claims related to flooding in west central New South Wales, a jump of 27% over the weekend. The ICA also said it welcomed the NSW Labor Party’s pledge not to make any new developments on Sydney’s floodplains before the NSW state elections next year.

“We are encouraging the same approach across the state and across Australia to better protect communities,” the ICA said.

The Bureau of Meteorology today said a late spring cold snap was moving across south-east Australia. High winds in parts of Melbourne knocked down trees and small hail was reported in some suburbs.

Senior meteorologist Jonathan How says that because the ground is so wet, there is a high risk of trees and power lines toppling.

“Strong to widespread damaging winds above 90km/h will continue into a severe weather warning area on Monday, which covers parts of SA, Victoria and NSW/ACT,” he said. The risk of damaging winds could persist in high parts of Victoria and NSW until Tuesday morning.

Alerts are ongoing for Tasmania due to snowy roads. There was also snow at Australian ski resorts.

In New South Wales, major flooding continues to affect many communities inland from the state and along the Victorian border, and flood waters are now heading downstream, including in South Africa.

A four-kilometre-long earth and sandbag levee known as the “Great Wall of Condo” protects the central business district of Condobolin from the floodwaters of the Lachlan River. In South Africa, work is underway to repair power outages in Adelaide and the Riverland following weekend inclement weather, with stronger winds forecast. Victoria is also under a severe weather warning.

Nine recovery support centers are set to open across NSW in Eugowra, Orange, Parkes, Kelvin, Gunnedah, Cudal, Wagga Wagga, Narrabri and Moree.

The New South Wales Government Assistance Scheme helps eligible people whose homes or property has been damaged, supports councils with the cost of cleaning and restoring damaged assets, offers interest rate loans concessionary and transport subsidies.

“This important payment for people unable to work due to these terrible floods is now available in 75 local government areas across New South Wales,” said Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt.

“We aim to bring peace of mind by ensuring a steady cash flow to people whose income has been directly affected by the floods.”