ATLANATA-–Following Governor Brian Kemp’s announcement that more than $1 billion in ARPA funds would be directed to the Department of Human Services (DHS) to provide cash assistance to eligible Georgians, state officials said that families spent the money on basic needs and other purchases.
The program launched on September 20 and recipients received up to $350.
In the first three days, 272,873 Georgians on Medicaid, PeachCare for Kids®, SNAP, and/or TANF received $95,505,550 and spent $30,090,461.42. Records indicate that the top purchase categories are retail stores, utility bills and groceries.
Funds can be used for online purchases or added to digital wallets for in-store use, where available. Cash Assist Cards cannot be used to purchase alcohol, gamble, gamble, purchase money order, or transfer the balance to Apple Cash, Cash App, or Zelle, among other things listed in the Cardholder Agreement. the map. Additionally, in-store Walmart purchases using Apple Pay funds will be declined because Walmart does not accept Apple Pay. The two main categories of transactions declined so far are restricted purchases and attempts to convert the card to cash.
cript async src=”https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-6980466554937371″ crossorigin=”anonymous”>
As cash assistance payments continue to flow in the coming weeks to eligible Georgians across the state, merchants should be aware of the following:
- If recipients attempt to transfer their card balance to Apple Cash, Cash App, or Zelle, the transfer will be declined.
- Cards cannot be used to purchase Money Orders.
- A card balance cannot be converted to cash.
- Walmart does not accept Apple Pay for in-store purchases, but a virtual card can be used on Walmart.com.
- The card cannot be used for unauthorized transactions, such as games, gambling, lottery tickets, adult entertainment, alcohol, tobacco, vaping, or weapons purchases fire.
- Some merchants do not allow virtual card payments, but cardholders may be able to purchase online and collect in store, depending on availability.
Read more FAQs at dfcs.georgia.gov/services/cash-assistance-medicaid-snap-andor-tanf-recipients. Stay tuned to our social media channels for updates.