The holiday season is upon us. With dropping temperatures, shorter days and longer nights, guests staying over, and appliances running at full capacity, the Thanksgiving holiday can lead to increased energy consumption.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) understands that customers face rising costs for a variety of products and services and we’re here to help with tips and tools that can reduce winter energy use and manage monthly bills.
Here are five easy ways to save energy this Thanksgiving:
- Set the thermostat lower. Save up to 15% on your energy bills by setting the thermostat to 68 degrees (health permitting) at home. When you’re away from home, turn the thermostat down to 65 degrees or turn it off completely.
- Inverted ceiling fan. Not just a hot weather tool, you can make sure the fan spins clockwise to circulate warm air throughout the living space.
- Lower the temperature of the water heater. Save on heating costs by setting the water heater to 120 degrees or less. Take shorter showers for extra savings.
- Cover the windows. Close curtains, shades and blinds at night to prevent hot air from escaping.
- Use a dimmer switch and turn off lights in unused rooms.
For personalized ways to save, customers can answer a few simple questions about their home energy usage to get recommendations as part of PG&E’s free tier. Balance+energy+house+. Customers will receive an estimate of what is using energy in their home and a list of personalized, suggested upgrades to help reduce costs.
Customers can also reduce seasonal spikes in energy bills by exploring assistance programs. Sign up for free programs including Budget+Billing+to evenly distribute energy costs throughout the year and Invoice+Forecast+Alerts+to receive notifications when a monthly invoice is expected to exceed a customer-defined amount.
Some customers may be eligible for income eligibility programs, including the California+Alternative+Energy+Rates+(CARE) offering a monthly discount of 20% or more on gas and electricity and Family+Electric+Price+Assistance+(FERA) program offering a monthly discount of 18% on electricity only. Eligible customers may also be eligible for Energy+saving+support+program+offering free upgrades to make the home more efficient, safe and comfortable.
For more simple cold weather saving tips, visit www.pge.com%2Fwinter.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG%26amp%3BE+Company (New York Stock Exchange: PCG, Financial), is a combined natural gas and electric utility serving more than 16 million people across 70,000 square miles in northern and central California. For more information, visit pge.com and pge.com%2Fnews.
See the source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221116005802/en/